- 1 16 ounce package of pork breakfast sausage
- 2 C of diced celery
- 2 C of diced onion
- 2 c of diced mushrooms
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 boxes of bread dumplings, thawed and cubed
- 1 carton of chicken broth
- 1 C of milk
- 2 eggs
- poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- In a large skillet crumble your pork sausage and brown it. When it’s halfway through cooking, add the butter, celery, mushroom and onions.
- Saute everything until its cooked well but the veggies still have some crunch to them.
- Season the sausage and veggies with your salt, pepper, garlic powder and poultry seasoning. You should season this to your preference. We use about 2 T of poultry seasoning, 1 T of garlic powder and a couple of teaspoons of salt and pepper.
- Add your cubed bread dumplings to a casserole dish, there is no need to dry out or toast the dumplings, they are perfect just thawed and cubed.
- Add the meat and veggie mixture to the cubed dumplings and toss to combine well.
- Pour the chicken broth over the mixture, it will look quite soggy. Stir to combine well.
- Whisk your eggs with the milk and add that to the mixture as well. This will all look very soggy, no cause for concern. We add a sprinkle of poultry seasoning, garlic powder and salt and pepper to the top before baking.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes. You will know when its done when the center is firm and the top is browned. If the top is getting too brown and the center isn’t set yet, you can loosely cover with foil.
This stuffing can be made a day before and baked the next. It is perfect for pork roast, chicken, pork, turkey or even just to eat on its own!
Our bread dumplings are available in the frozen food section of your local grocery store.