- 1 16 ounce package of pork breakfast sausage
- 2 C of diced celery
- 2 C of diced onion
- 2 c of diced mushrooms
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 boxes of bread dumplings, thawed and cubed
- 1 32 ounce carton of chicken or turkey broth
- 1 C of milk
- 2 eggs
- poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- In a large skillet crumble your pork sausage and brown it. When it’s halfway through cooking, add the butter, celery, mushroom and onions.
- Saute everything until its cooked well but the veggies still have some crunch to them.
- Season the sausage and veggies with your salt, pepper, garlic powder and poultry seasoning. You should season this to your preference. We use about 2 T of poultry seasoning, 1 T of garlic powder and a couple of teaspoons of salt and pepper.
- Add your cubed bread dumplings to a casserole dish, there is no need to dry out or toast the dumplings, they are perfect just thawed and cubed.
- Add the meat and veggie mixture to the cubed dumplings and toss to combine well.
- Pour the chicken broth over the mixture, it will look quite soggy. Stir to combine well.
- Whisk your eggs with the milk and add that to the mixture as well. This will all look very soggy, no cause for concern. We add a sprinkle of poultry seasoning, garlic powder and salt and pepper to the top before baking. Melt the second stick of butter and pour over the top of the stuffing.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes. You will know when its done when the center is firm and the top is browned. If the top is getting too brown and the center isn’t set yet, you can loosely cover with foil.
This stuffing can be made a day before and baked the next. It is perfect for pork roast, chicken, pork, turkey or even just to eat on its own!
You can mix the stuffing in a bowl before adding it to the casserole dish to get it well mixed.
This recipe will serve 12 to 14 people as a side dish to your Thanksgiving dinner or 6 to 8 as a main side dish.
Our bread dumplings are available in the frozen food section of your local grocery store.