Nothing beats a make ahead breakfast for the holidays or any day. The bread dumplings in our French toast recipe hold this French toast batter without getting them soggy. This is why you can make this ahead of time and let the delicious batter soak in overnight so that all you have to do in the morning is fry them up in a pan. We do not know a substitute for this recipe for the bread dumplings, the dumplings are what make the difference in this recipe. You can use our store locator to find where you can purchase our bread dumplings. If you’re local grocery store doesn’t carry the dumplings, you can ask them to contact us about becoming a vendor or you can order dumplings from us to be shipped.
World’s Best Overnight French Toast
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 Box of Chateau Bread Dumplings
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 C of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 C of French Vanilla Flavored Coffee Creamer
- 1/4 C of Milk (lowfat or 2%)
- 1 T of Vanilla Extract
- 1 T of Cinnamon
- 1 t of Nutmeg
- In a bowl add your Eggs, whipping cream, coffee cream, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk until well combined.
- Thaw your bread dumplings ahead of time, or microwave in the plastic bag for 30 seconds.
- Place the dumplings in a shallow container with a lid, it is okay to place the dumplings in two layers, one on top of the other.
- Pour the batter over the dumplings, and make sure you cover all the dumplings with the batter.
- Place the lid on the dumplings and place in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- You can turn the container a few times in that 24 hour time period to make sure the dumplings are being coated in the batter.
- When you are ready to serve, heat a skillet with a few tablespoons of butter. Remove your dumplings from the batter and add to the skillet.
- Cook for approximately 6 minutes on medium high heat, flip and cook the other side.
- Serve with powdered sugar, butter and syrup.
This French toast is a great recipe for busy days like Christmas morning because it saves you a step. The dumplings make the difference by absorbing the batter without becoming soggy.
We hope you enjoy!